Analytical/ Critical Reflection

Greetings to all,

It has been 13 weeks since my first blog post and this might just be the last. I am writing this reflection for my fellow readers to understand how I have developed myself after taking up an Effective Communication module.

My first assignment was to share my strengths & weaknesses and elaborate on my goals for the module. It did not take long before I started typing away, a simple informal letter for my readers to read at their own reading pleasure. Little did I know, there was more to simply expressing my thoughts. Reviewing what I had written then, I am thankful that I am able to witness how I have progressed over time.

The next assignment was not something that I was looking forward to, honestly. I had to research a given topic before drafting a design summary. For this assignment, I was taught how to paraphrase selected key information, summarise within a word limit, and apply the appropriate citation skills. I felt that it was nothing new to me, but I was wrong. Peer feedback helped me view my design summary from another perspective which could be further improved. It was long before another draft was on its way. However, I learned something new after each draft. The mistakes I made were clear indications of an area of knowledge that I was lacking. There was more to simply paraphrasing and summarising, and I am glad that I was given the opportunity to learn from my peers through my mistakes.

Next came my team-based research project where I had to write a report, a 2000-word design proposal report! My team, PIXIE, is a group of talented individuals that I am lucky to be able to work with for the design proposal. After countless of hours writing the report, we managed to come up with a proposal to improve an existing drone for a specific conservation organization. This assignment was the most engaging one as the team’s written proposal would undergo series of peer reviews and guided consultations. As one of the speakers in my team, I was given an opportunity to pitch my team’s design proposal to other groups within the class. Through this process, I was able to gradually develop the skills necessary in engaging with my peers.

After passing the halfway mark of the module, it was finally time for the 15 minutes team oral presentation based on my team’s proposed design report. I learned different appropriate methods to opening and closing a presentation to deliver a lasting message to the targeted audience. During my part of the presentation, I managed to forget one of my lines which I managed to recover and continue the presentation smoothly. Through my experience, I strongly believe that being confident in public speaking will require; (1) a basic understanding of the contents and (2) adequate time for practice. Once you are confident in public speaking, half of the battle is already won.

With that said, all good things must come to an end. I have gained a substantial amount of knowledge in being a much more effective communicator which I will be able to apply for school, work, and in life. It has been a fruitful 13-week journey where most credit goes to my team members; Shaun, Chang Sheng, and Sabryna for making it an enjoyable ride.

Saving the best for the last, I would also like to express my sincerest gratitude to Professor Blackstone, for you have groomed me to become a much effective communicator than I was before. Until our paths cross again, I will continue to support and enjoy your music. #DaddyPeetExpresso

 

Yours truly,
Richard Ow
MEC1281-T6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Submission 1: Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers

"Medical Robots" Design Summary - Draft 1